Waterloo United Methodist Church Windows

The Arthur R. Setz history indicates that the current church building was first built in November 28, 1892 at a cost of $5,500.  This 1892 photo, right, curtesy of the Waterloo Area Historical Society, shows the current windows. It is presumed they were placed in the church while under construction.

  When the alter section was added to the south end of the church in 1915 at a cost of $2,800, the Rose window was added as well. The photo shows two "Rose Windows" in the church steeple. The window on the east side of the steeple is still in place. The north window was presumably moved.

In 1942, the church was extensively remodeled and considerable thought and money went into the placement of windows and their liturgical significance.

Waterloo Area Historical Society Photo

The rose window above the alter, installed to the current location in 1915, was given in memory of Algenia L. and Garrett J. Porter. 

This window has a lot of liturgical significance.  The window is round which is the symbol of eternity.  It has five petals representing the five graces of the Holy Spirit.  In each petal are 3 roses representing the Trinity and within each petal is a cross with the marks of the crucifixion.

The windows on the west side of the communion rail are well placed in that they represent the elements of communion.  Grapes for wine and wheat for bread.  

The left window with the grapes was given in memory of Mother, Mabel; Grandfather and Grandmother White by the L.C. White family.  

The right window with the wheat was given in memory of Sophia Phelps Mackenzie and Edwin F. Mackenzie by Viola Mackenzie, who was a teacher at the Waterloo Grade School. 

These two windows are located on the west side of the church and are split by the large west window. 

The baptism window, left, is located in the southwest corner of the sanctuary. It was given in memory of mother Hattie Cole by Harold and Lawrence Cole. 

The olive wreath or branch window, right, is located in the northwest corner of the sanctuary. It was given in memory of Louise Deppe Fentzlaff by her children. The window represents peace.

The west window was given in memory of father, Alexander and mother, Suzanna McCracken and children Mary, Robert and Cynthia McCracken by William and Emmit McCracken.

The left panel has a cross and crown which represents that Christ is King over the cross.

The middle panel represents Christ the anchor of our hope.

The right panel represents the story of the birth of Jesus Christ, through the Bible.

The symbols are surrounded by a circle representing the eternal Christ. The circles are enclosed with a square representing the four corners of the world. 

By looking at the west window alone, we can tell that Christ is king over all. The anchor of our hope and the revelation of his birth in the Holy Bible.

The east window was given in memory of John Fox by his wife, Josephine Fox.

The left panel represents the birth of Jesus with the crib and bundle of grain.

The middle panel represents the crucifixion of Jesus with the nails on the cross and crown of thorns.

The right panel with the butterfly represents regeneration and new life.

The east window tells us that he was born in a crib in a barn, was crucified, survived death and was born anew. 

The west and east windows together tell the whole Bible story through the symbols. Birth, death on the cross, born anew, King over all, and anchor of our hope.

The history window is very unique in that it lists the Pastors and District Superintendents of the Church, since 1854. 

There is no information on who gave the window.

This window, called The Good Shepard Window, is located on the north end of the church in the reception room at the rear of the sanctuary.

The window  was given in memory of Caroline Hoag.

On the west wall of the reception area on the north end of the church is The Easter Window. 

The window was originally installed on the the east wall of the room. It was moved to the west wall in 1942, when the the church was remodeled and the new entrance was built.

The window was given in memory of Harriet Hoag Sheridan.

The two windows in the north hallway entrance were both given by Maude Zimbrich. The new entrance was built as part of the renovations in 1942.

The Jesus window, left, was given in memory of her husband, Jay D. Zimbrich.

The Praying Hands window, right, was also given by Maude Zimbrich.

This window is located at the north entrance of the Education Wing addition of 1966. 

The window, entitled, "Jesus and His Flock" was given in Honor of Leota Stokes on November 10, 2005.